History of the Province
History of the Province
In 1734 Matthew Ridley became the first Provincial Grand Master (PGM) of Northumberland. He was Mayor of Newcastle on 4 occasions and sat in 5 successive Parliaments from 1747 to 1774.
In 1771 W Bro John Errington, Chief of Beaufront was appointed as the second PGM of Northumberland.
In 1806 RW Bro Errington resigns.
Sir John Edward Swinburne appointed as Provincial Grand Master in 1807
On 27 July, Provincial Grand Lodge of Northumberland met in Durham for the purpose of assisting at the ceremony of the Installation of W Bro John George Lambton as the PGM for Durham. The Installing Master was W Bro William Loraine, the ProvSGW of Northumberland.
On 2 September, officers and brethren of Provincial Grand Lodges of Northumberland and Durham went in procession to Mansion House in the Close, at the entrance to which His Royal Highness the Grand Master was stationed, together with the Mayor and other dignatories of the town, who had received HRH on Tyne Bridge. The procession proceeded to the site of the new building in Westgate Road where the foundation stone was laid by the Grand Master according to ancient form and a Royal salute was fired from the Castle.
n 1824 RW Bro Sir John George Lambton, the PGM of Durham installed WBro Sir Matthew White Ridley as the PGM of Northumberland.
On 11 September, RW Bro the Right Hon John George Lambton, the first Earl of Durham was installed as the PGM of Northumberland and so became the holder of the same office in both Provinces.
In 1848 WBro the Rev Edward Challoner Ogle was appointed as the PGM and was installed by RW Bro John Fawcett, the PGM of Durham.
On 30 September, RW Bro the Right Hon Earl Percy was installed as PGM to succeed RW Bro Ogle who held the office for 21 years.
In 1872 the dedication of the first purpose built Masonic Temple in Newcastle at Maple Terrace was conducted by WBro L M Cockcroft, the Deputy PGM and on 23 May the Building was principally financed by St. Peter’s and Northern Counties Lodges.
On 10 November 1886 RW Bro Earl Percy installed W Bro Sir Matthew White Ridley as the PGM of Northumberland. He became the first Viscount Ridley in 1900.
In 1905 a presentation of an address and service of plate to WBro Alderman RH Holmes to mark 25 years service as Deputy PGM. In addition, several hundred pounds had been collected to form the nucleus of a Fund to be known as ‘The Richard Henry Holmes Masonic Benevolent Fund’ for the relief of distressed Freemasons and widows of Freemasons.
On 26 July, WBro Major Augustus Edward Burdon was installed as PGM for Northumberland by the RW Bro Lord Barnard, PGM of Durham.
On 15 June 1909 W Bro Col Charles Warren Napier-Clavering was installed as PGM of Northumberland by R W Bro Lord Barnard.
In 1918 the Northumberland Masonic Charity Association was formed.
On 22 October 1931 RW Bro Col C W Napier-Clavering passed away after holding the office of PGM for 22 years.
On 14 June, WBro Cecil Algemon Cochrane, PGD was installed as the PGM of Northumberland by the Right Hon Lord Ampthill, MW Pro Grand Master who had earlier in the day installed him as Grand Superintendent (Grand Supt).
On 5 September, the United Grand Lodge of England held its Quarterly Communication in the City Hall, Newcastle upon Tyne, when an address to the MW Grand Master expressed the loyalty and affection of the Freemasons of Northumberland was presented by the PGM.
On October 24, the Bi-Centenary of the appointment of the first PGM for Northumberland was celebrated by thee functions,
A service in St. Nicholas Cathedral
The Annual Meeting of Provincial Grand Lodge in the City Hall
A dinner in the Grand Assembly Rooms
On 9 July, WBro W Cooper Bailey, PGD was installed as the PGM and Grand Supt by His Grace the Duke of Devonshire the Deputy Grand Master, Acting Grand Master.
On 4 April, the Provincial Headquarters moved to Broomfield Hall, Jesmond Road, Newcastle upon Tyne after 20 years in St. Nicholas Building.
On 11 November, VW Bro J M S Coates OBE FCA was installed as the PGM and Grand Supt.
In 1962 120th Festival of RMBI was held under the chairmanship of PGM. The MW Grand Master resolved that the Jewel of the Festival should be a permanent one.
In 1965 the PGM laid the foundation stone of Scarborough Court in the presence of the Assistant Grand Master, Maj Gen Sir Allan Adair and a large company of distinguished Masons.
On 30 November 1976 WBro J S Stephenson, PProvSGW was installed as the PGM by the MW Bro. the Right Hon the Earl of Cadogan, Pro Grand Master. On the same day E Comp W Ferguson PAGSoj was installed as Grand Supt by ME Comp the Right Hon the Earl of Cadogan Pro First Grand Principal.
On 20 February, Provincial Headquarters moved to Neville Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne after 4 years at 11 Pilgrim Street.
On 29 June, E Comp J S Stephenson was installed as Grand Superintendent by ME Comp the Right Hon the Earl of Cadogan Pro First Grand Principal in Berwick upon Tweed Town Hall.
On 20 June, the second Charity Festival was held in Alnwick Castle. It was the first Craft Charity Festival to be held outside London, presided over by R W Bro. J S Stephenson, the PGM.
On 24 November, VW Bro M N Craigs RD was installed as the PGM and Grand Supt by MW Bro the Right Hon the Lord Farnham Pro Grand Master and Pro First Grand Principal.
On 18 November, VW Bro George Usher was installed as the PGM and Grand Supt by RW Bro Marquess of Northampton DL the Assistant Grand Master and Past Third Grand Principal.
On 12 May, the 14th Anniversary Festival of the Masonic Trust for Girls and Boys was held at the Civic Centre, Newcastle upon Tyne, presided over by R W Bro G Usher, the PGM.
On 4 October 2000 the Samaritans of Tyneside was presented with a £100,000 cheque at a celebration banquet in the Newcastle Civic Centre. This was the result of a special Millennium effort by the brethren of Northumberland.
In 2002 R W Bro Ian Ross Bryce, Deputy Grand Master was present at the launch of ‘Freemasonry in Community’ for Northumberland.
On 11 July, VW Bro Peter Magnay was installed as the PGM and Grand Supt by RW Bro David K Williamson the Assistant Grand Master and Past Third Grand Principal.
On 17 September, the new Scarbrough Court Home in Cramlington was officially opened by Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra, the Hon Lady Ogilvy KG GCVO.
On 13th May, the 24th Anniversary Festival of the Royal Masonic Trust for Girls and Boys was held at the Marriott Hotel, Gosforth Park, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 5HN presided over by R W Bro. Peter Magnay DL, the PGM.
On 8 January 2014 Provincial Headquarters moved to 17 Lansdowne Terrace, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 1HP after 37 years at Neville Hall, Westgate Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 1SY.
On 3 September, VW Bro John James Craigs was installed as Provincial Grand Master and Grand superintendent of Northumberland by MW Bro Peter Geoffrey Lowndes, the Pro Grand Master.